Friday, December 20, 2013

December 2013 Ipsy (My Glam) Unboxing and Review

Hello my lovelies!

My favorite mail day has arrived- Ipsy Day!



Pink Envelope of Goodness

I seriously LOVE receiving this pretty pink envelope each month in the mail.  It really makes my day.


First Peek
The first peek inside the bag is always the best- especially if nothing is broken or crushed :)

Celebration!
December's Theme is "Celebration!" I love this- not only is it Ipsy's second anniversary, it's also the time of year that is filled with parties, family and gatherings.  Ipsy is also having a contest this month, if you post a picture of your Glam Bag on Instagram with the proper tags, you could win a year's subscription to this fabulous service.


The brands
I always love the little insert cards in each package; it is a fast introduction to the brands that are featured each month, and have cute little pictures on them.  December's bag is no exception.


December 2013's bag
I absolutely, positively LOVE this month's bag!  It's the same style as June's bag, and the shiny black diamond-pattered outside is perfectly paired with a deep red liner.  This bag has instantly become my purse cosmetic bag, and will remain so for quite a while, I think.

Each month, Ipsy sends out 4-5 items, either deluxe samples or full sized items.  This month, Ipsy send 2 items to all subscribers, and the remaining 3 items varied from bag to bag.  I'll start with the items everyone received.

Be A…Bombshell The One Stick in Girl Crush, full size (7.3g/0.26 oz), $16 retail, available HEREDiscount code IPSY40 will get you a 40% discount, and a free full-sized raspberry tart blush, until 1/15/14, US only, can’t be combined with other offers, free item is automatically added when order ships.
I've enjoyed trying out the Be A...Bombshell line.  The One Stick is a product that is for use on the eyes, cheeks and lips (hence the name), and this pretty pink is a beautiful blush shade on me.  I tried it on my lips, and it applied kind of thickly, and it was too frosty to look good with my skin tone.  I have yet to try it on my eyes (I have lots of pink shadow), but I think this would work well as a cream shadow (maybe as a base).  When I heard that we were getting this product, I looked for a picture of it, and was surprised when it arrived at just how big it is.  I guess I was expecting a product the size of a lipstick tube, and this is MUCH bigger than that, and will last a long time.  I am pretty happy with this- it's the first cream blush product that I actually like.
GRADE: 4/5


POP Beauty Bright Up Your Life Eyeshadow Trio in Smokin’ Hot, deluxe sample size (4.35g/0.15 oz, 3 pans of shadow), $7.20 retail value, available HERE. Full size retails for $24 and includes 10 pans of shadow.  Discount code EyeLuvPOP gets you 25% off of any purchase, until 1/15/14, one time use only, can’t be combined with other offers, US only, excluding territories, free shipping on orders $75 or more.
I've had good and bad luck with POP Beauty before- I really disliked the mascara I received earlier this year, but the lip crayon was a flattering shade for me, and a decent formula.  My first impression of the eyeshadow trio was that the palette was hard to open.  Like really REALLY hard.  As in I wound up breaking two nails, and using a butter knife hard. I swatched the shadows and they seemed to be lightly pigmented, but when I went to use them on my eyes, I was very impressed with the consistency. I gave this shadow trio a try, and while I would have preferred the neutral palette, these went on nicely, blended well, and created a long lasting smoky eye look that I rocked for a full day.  I did put these on over primer, and I think that it made all the difference.  I don't currently have a palette specifically for smoky eye looks, so this is a welcome addition to my collection.  I will try to branch out more into this look for evenings out, but I don't think I will ever give up on my love for color!
GRADE: 4/5

 Ipsy also sent each subscriber a lip product: each bag had either a J.Cat lip pencil or a NYX lipstick.  I received...

 Nyx Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Celene, full size (4g/0.14oz), $4.00 retail, available HERE. Discount code IPSYSLIM gets you 35% off of the slim lip pencil until 1/15/14, one time use, can’t be combined with other offers.
Once I found out that I was going to receive the NYX Lipstick, I was really excited. I've wanted to try out their formula, but don't currently have any in my collection (how did THAT happen?).  When I opened up my bag, and saw the color that I received, I actually sad the words, "You've got to be kidding me!"
Ipsy, please- I don't wear pale shades.  I don't wear much gold.  Please send me pretty pinks, corals, and blue-based reds.  Please don't send me any more zombie-inspired lipstick shades.  Please??  I did give this a try, and it was worse on my lips than on my hand.  I'll try layering this over a darker lip shade; hopefully I can find some use of this tube.  It's really a shame, because I really like the formula.
GRADE 3/5 (Great formula, horrific shade)

The remaining two items in each bag were from an assortment of items.  Here is what I received:

Nicka K New York polish in NY112, full size (0.5 fl oz/15ml), $4.99 retail, available HERE.  Discount code IPSY gets you 30% off until 1/10/14, cannot be combined with other offers, US only, free shipping on orders $50 or more.
I love me some nailpolish, and I have never heard of the brand Nicka K.  I received a pretty taupe shade, with purple undertones in some lighting.  I gave this a try and I really love the formula.  This polish is long lasting, and applied smooth and creamy.  I had total opacity in two coats.  

Swatch of Nicka K Polish in NY112 (gold sparkle top coat on all of them except the ring finger)
This color isn't my favorite shade, but after I added a gold sparkle topcoat, I think it is fantstic!  I don't have any like this at all in my collection, so this will most definitely get used.  I think this is my favorite product in my bag this month.  Love it!
GRADE: 5/5

Ardell Natural Lashes in 120 DEMI, full size (1 pair), $3.99 retail, available HERE.  No discount coded this month, sorry!
I have a love/hate relationship with lashes.  I love them, but I hate applying them.  I finally have a method that works fairly well, and these applied nicely.  I don't think that the lashes looked particularly natural on my face, but they were light and easy to wear.  The glue included did a nice job of holding them in place, which for me, is unusual for the little samples in the lash packs, so this was a big plus.
GRADE: 4/5

In my bag this month, I also received a referral bonus- so a HUGE thank you to anyone and everyone who used my link to sign up for Ipsy!!

Beauty blender and blender cleanser, deluxe sample (blender alone is $19.95), available HERE.  Full size retails for $23.95 (1 blender and 3 oz of cleanser).  No discount code currently available.
I have never tried the original Beauty Blender before, and I have to say, that I was pleasantly surprised.  I expected the foam to be more dense (like the one I purchased from the Ulta brand), and was happy with how it applied the foundation.  The cleanser was great, and did a fabulous job of cleaning my sponge.  I was amazed at how much the blender "grew" once it was dampened!  This is seriously my new go-to for applying foundation.  Love it!  This is a fabulous extra, and I am super happy with it!
GRADE: 5/5

I took one swatch photo this month, of everything on my hand.  Here 'tis:
Top: Nyx lipstick in Celene
Middle: Be A Bombshell The One Stick in Girl Crush, Nicka K polish in NY112 (Classic Taupe)
Bottom: POP Beauty Smokin' Hot Trio

Items YOU might have received in your Ipsy bag, but I did not:

J.Cat Beauty Big Lip Pencil, full size (0.3 oz), retails for $3.99, available HERE.  Discount code jcatlips will get you 30% off of any purchase, until 1/15/14, can't be combined, US only.

Mirabella Eye Blender brush, full size, retails for $27, available HERE.  Discount code IPSTER will get you 30% off of any purchase, until 1/7/14, can't be combined with other offers, valid in the US only.

English Laundry Signature Fragrances set (Signature Pour Femme and Signature), 2 vials, each 5mL, retail value $8.70, available HERE.  Full size is 3.4 oz/100mL and retails for $84 (men's) and $90 (women's).  If you purchase this fragrance, you will receive a free bag with any purchase of $75 or more, and free shipping, until 2/23/14, free shipping is US only and excludes Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Andrea Strip Lashes in style #33, full size, retails for $3.99, available HERE.  No discount code this time, sorry! 

Salon Perfect Perfectly Natural lashes in #53, full size, retails for $2.98, available HERE.  No discount code this time, sorry! 

Demeter Snow Perfume Oil Roll on, full size (0.29 fl oz/8.8mL), retails for $10, available HERE.  Discount code ipsy20dfl will get you 20% off of any purchase, until 1/13/14, one time use only, valid only in US and Canada.

Jesse's Girl Julie G Holiday Frosted Gum Drops Nail lacquer in Sugar Plum Fairy, full size (0.35 fl oz), available HERE, retails for $3.99.  Discount code IPSYDEC2013 will get you 20% off your purchase until 1/15/14, free US shipping, international shipping available.

Starilly Nail Polish in Bzzz Buzz, mini size (0.17oz), retails for $5, available HERE.  Discount code IPSY will get you 20% off of your purchase, can't be combined with other offers, US and Canada only, shipping based on weight, no end date listed.

December 2013 December Glam Bag
Here's my beautiful December 2013 Ipsy Glam bag, in all it's glory!  I am really happy with what I received this month, and while I might have wanted to try some different items, aside from the god-awful lipstick color, everything I did get will most definitely be used.  To me, that spells SUCCESS! 

Here's a rundown of everything that was sent out by Ipsy this month, just to help you calculate your bag's monetary value.  As always, an item could be worth a fortune, and you hate it, so it has no true value, but the almighty dollar seems to be the way most people judge their bags, so, here we go! 

Be A...Bombshell The One Stick (full size): $16.00
POP Beauty eyeshadow trio (deluxe sample): $7.20
Nyx Extra Creamy Round lipstick (full size): $4.00
J.Cat Beauty Big Lip Pencil (full size): $3.99
Ardell Natural Lashes (full size): $3.99
Andrea Strip Lashes (full size): $3.99
Salon Perfect Perfectly Natural lashes (full size): $2.98
Nicka K New York polish (full size): $4.99
Jesse's Girl Julie G Nail lacquer in Sugar Plum Fairy (full size): $3.99
Starilly Nail Polish in Bzzz Buzz (mini size): $5.00
English Laundry Signature Fragrances set (Signature Pour Femme and Signature), (2 vials, each 5mL):$8.70
Demeter Snow Perfume Oil Roll on (full size): $10.00
Mirabella Eye Blender brush (full size): $27.00
Referral Gift:
Beauty blender and blender cleanser (deluxe sample):blender alone is $19.95

Total retail value of MY bag (approx.): $56.13 (without referral gift, $36.14)

My December 2013 Ipsy Look

Sorry about the shadow on my shadow, but here's a closeup of the eyelook, with Starlook's Topaz gem pencil as liner.
Closeup of the lashes
 Here's my unboxing video, for those who like to watch these things, and want to see my Christmas tree :)  If you want to see more of my family and me, a new vlog is uploaded every day on this channel, so subscribe away :)


What's this- you don't subscribe to Ipsy yet?  Well, crawl out from underneath the rock you are living under and head on over there and check them out!  Ipsy is $10 a month (plus $5 if you are in Canada), and gets you 4-5 full size or deluxe sample beauty products in the mail each month, all in a cosmetic bag.   If you would like to sign up, would you consider using my referral link?  I get points towards goodies, and you get good karma, plus a referral code of your very own to share.  Everyone wins!

Until next time, my lovelies- stay Average!



Wordle: Untitled

Disclaimer: This video contains products that I purchased with my own money.  I was not asked nor requested by any company to review/unbox these items, and all opinions are true and my own.  No links are referral or paid links, except the Ipsy link.  I totally want the Ipsy points. 


4 comments:

  1. Nice eye shadow look! You can create some nice smokey looks with that palette.

    -Erica
    http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I like the smoky eye palette- I would have thought that the neutral eye shades would be more my style, but I really like the one I got. Perhaps Ipsy knows what they are doing? ...nah.

      Delete
  2. I love how you go into detail... that polish is a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon! I see so many reviews that are "I can't wait to try this" or "this looks nice in the pan", but not so many with actual testing and the results. I unbox on youtube, and then review here- so I try to do the best of both worlds!
      I love the polish- it took a little for it to grow on me at first, but it's a really pretty, professional looking color. I need to find a retailer that is local that carries this- I want all the colors now!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.