Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Only Average Advice

Hello to all my average and above average friends out there!

My husband has been home sick for two days with bronchitis, and I spent this morning writing my Scouting monthly newsletter, so I've been a bit busy, but I wanted to write a post today so that I don't fall out of the habit of posting.  I have a couple of items that I have ordered that were delivered this week, but I haven't used them enough to give an honest review.  So, today, I thought I would post some advice that this Only Average Mom has to give, from what I learned this weekend.


So, without further ado, here is some Only Average advice:

It's hard to be "the tall one."
It's also hard to be "the short one."  But at least if you buy pants too long, they can be cut down to size.  Not so easy to fix, the other way around.  Much to my chagrin. 

There are some people who are just not comfortable drinking at a bar, unless someone else is drinking with them.  Ditch these people.  Drink at your own pace.  Don't let some d-bag dictate what you consume.

Be the responsible one.  You'll be thanked for it later on.  Unless they forget.  But it's still better to be responsible.

Be "the crazy one".  It's worth it, sometimes, just to see the look on people's faces when you ride a tricycle through the 'Mart, with a triceratops helmet on.

This universe is so huge that my (if I do say so myself) above average brain cannot fathom it's size.  If my God breathed all of this into existence, and yet will still hear me when I cry out to Him, I must matter.  You must matter too.

If you pray, when you pray, be specific.  "Help me, God" may not be what you need to ask for. "I need a doctor that understands my disorder, with the specific knowledge needed to heal my (insert health problem here)," will likely get you better results.

God always answers prayers.  Sometimes, he says, "no."  Do you always say "yes" to your kids?  Maybe something better is on the horizon.

Hot wax is hard to get out of a dog's fur.  It's best to not put it there in the first place, or let your kids accidentally knock over a tart warmer on top of said dog.  Either way.

Snow melts fast.  Teach your kids to sled, and enjoy the moment.  Make them come inside to get warm, but then go back outside.

If you make a promise to your kids, keep it.  Even if it's hard.  If you can't guarantee the outcome of events, don't promise your kids that you will be able to do something.  It's best not to mention it, because if you do, they will lament the missed opportunity.

Be kind to those you meet.  Everyone, EVERYONE is fighting a battle.  Some are obvious, others are not.

Even though I believe in God, I also believe in Karma.  The world has a way of balancing things out on its own.  You don't always have to take revenge, sometimes the universe will do that for you.

Be the better person.  Don't stoop to the level of your enemies.  "Haters gonna hate" may be a meme, but that doesn't mean it's not true.  Reference the Karma advice above.  They will get theirs.  And it's ok to smile while you watch it happen.  Just don't be the one to make it happen.  Karma works both ways, you know.

Finally, a piece of advice someone gave me years ago, so I guess it technically doesn't count towards things I learned this weekend.  But it's still good advice:  Don't give up two minutes before your miracle."  Very profound, particularly since this advice was given to me by a person who was struggling with a drug addiction.  I haven't seen her in years, but I hope that she won the battle.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Tuesday, and that some of my words can be considered wisdom, and you can use it in your life.  But then again, I AM Only Average Mom.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.