Friday, May 10, 2013

DIY Magnetic Palette The Only Average Way

Hello my lovely friends!

A couple months ago, I received a mini magnetic palette from GlamRx, and I learned how to Depot makeup.  Since then, I've been depotting various things to put in my palette, and now I have more things depotted than I have room in my palette for!

I priced out buying a magnetic or sticky palette online, and they all look a little pricey for my cheapskate budgeting self.

So, I decided to try my hand at making one!  It looked to me that the basic supplies that I would need are a box (the palette shell), glue, and a magnet.

I did some research online, to see how others did it, added a few thoughts and ideas of my own, and came up with a game plan. I set out for my local Dollar Tree to see if they had what I was looking for.

Before I went to the store, I raided my collection of useless dustcatchers to see if I already had what I was looking for.  I sort of collect tins, but none fit the bill for what I wanted to do.  Off to Dollar Tree, I went!  I tried to find a little metal box, that wasn't to deep, but my DT wasn't going to make it easy for me.  I couldn't find a tin, but then I walked by a display of hardcase credit card wallets.


Hard case credit card wallet from Dollar Tree
 I pondered over this for a minute, and a thought came to me: I could make this into a TWO sided palette!

Paper inside the palette, and the straps I yanked off :)

Once I got home, I pulled the elastic straps off of both sides of the wallet, and then traced it onto a piece of paper.  I cut the paper down until it would fit exactly inside the box.

I then took an old promotional magnet (with a calendar from 2012 on the front), and traced my paper onto it, twice.  I cut out the magnet inside my cut line, and put them inside the former wallet.  Ok, so my plan didn't work out QUITE so well, and I needed to trim the magnet to fit- I had forgotten about the little bumps where the elastic attached.  Whoops!

Palette with both magnets in it.
Once my magnet pieces fit into the bottom of the former wallet-now palette, I glued one in place.  I tried regular school glue because I'm too lazy to bust out my glue gun.  Yeah, that didn't work so well- try super glue or a glue gun!!

The glue dried, and then I popped the other magnet into place, and glued that one as well.


See how great the magnet works?  These suckers aren't going anywhere!
I put some depotted eyeshadows into the palette, and it worked great!  I closed it up, and then pushed the button to open it, and it opened up, but the shadows on the top did not stay in place. So my two sided palette is now a one sided palette.  But that's ok.  
What did I spend on this project?  ONE DOLLAR.  I'm going to use this plain little palette to store depotted things that I don't want in my GlamRx palette, to keep them dust free and protected from the tiny fingers that plague my household and can destroy anything that they touch!

I DO want to mention that the magnet that I used is a thicker one- they seem to work better than the thinner ones.
Then, one day, while I was out shopping for Girl Scout supplies, I saw it. 

Hello Kitty, I Mustache you a question!
I saw the coolest little mint tin EVER: a Hello Kitty with a mustache! Oh, I HAD to have this.  I put it in my shopping card, and paid for it separately at the register ($3.99?!). Once in the car, I popped it open, and my BFF Missy SQUEED when we saw that the candies inside are tiny mustaches!  

Missy and I had a fantastic time playing with these little candies, and she asked me why I had to have this tin.  I told her that I want to convert it into a tiny palette for my purse!  She agreed that it would be super cute- as my enabler, that is her job :)

Once all the candies were eaten (I have two kids- it doesn't take long.  On a side note, my tiny love calls "mustaches" "Stick Beards".  That will NEVER EVER get old!!!), I rinsed the tin out and left it to dry.

All my supplies (except scissors.  You'll need those too!)
I repeated the same steps above: trace the tin bottom onto a piece of paper, cut the paper to fit, and then trace the paper onto a magnet.  I cut the magnet out and fit it into the bottom of the tin.  It fit very snugly, and I didn't even need to glue it!

Super cute palette with 3 Yaby eyeshadows in it!

I hope you enjoyed this OnlyAverage tutorial!  I thought that if you subscribe to Ipsy and don't want to mix powders and creams in your GlamRx (or other) palette, you might benefit from my experience!  Plus Stick Beard Hello Kitty is WAY too cute to NOT share!
Have you ever made a magnetic palette?  Are you a DIY Princess?  Leave a comment, and let me know!  If I were to do a giveaway for a Stick Beard Hello Kitty homemade palette, would you enter?


Wordle: Untitled 
 
 Disclaimer:  The products listed above were purchased by me, with my own money my husband's money.  I was not asked nor required to write this review, and the thoughts above are my own.  The Ipsy link IS a referral link (I get a freebie if 2 friends subscribe, but any other link in this post just goes back to my own blog.  I was not compensated in any way for writing this review. 


 

11 comments:

  1. You are so handy. That is the best tutorial ever!! love it, and the Stick Beard Hello Kitty is absolutely amazing. What a great idea.. And YAY for Missy being your enabler.. We all need one of those.. :))
    Thank you for sharing, this was such a great idea!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy!
      I try hard to keep things simple and inexpensive :) Love me some Hello Kitty!!

      Delete
  2. It's so funny that you posted this because a few days ago I took an old empty (non magnetic) makeup case, added a magnetic, and now have some shadows inside! Yours looks much nicer though! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny that we all have similar thoughts around the same time. I blame Pintrest, youTube and blogs :)

      Delete
  3. All right now I *HAVE* to do this! I'm sure I've got some kind of tin laying around the house that's begging to be turned into a palette! Thanks for such a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, this is SO easy to do that even the art-challenged (me!) can do it! An old Altoids tin would be the perfect size, except not as pretty...

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. Thank you now I am going to have my own little palettes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome! I had fun making them, and the tin Hello Kitty one was SUPER easy. Now I can put my cream concealer in one, and my powder shadows in another, and not worry about shadow fallout getting into my cream concealer (ew!). Happy to have helped, enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I love love love the Hello Kitty! Where did you buy it? I really need one in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that cute little tin at Michael's. My friend sent me a pictures of them in a dime shop in Philly, too. Michael's also had ones with Hello Kitty wearing glasses. Super cute!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks For Sharing This Article. I learned a lots of techniques like how we can make facial features attractive and grooming personality.
    Magnetic Eyeshadow Palette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.