Friday, February 1, 2013

Profusion BARE and MIDNIGHT FEVER Palette REVIEW

I know, I know, I've done a lot of beauty product reviews lately, and I'm sorry, I can't help it!  I've become a beauty product junky!!!  Here's another review of some inexpensive palettes I have picked up over the last month, and I hope my thoughts and experiences are helpful; I AM Only Average, after all!


I like the packaging of these palettes: they have a magnet closure, and are easy to store.


Profusion is a lower end line of makeup, available at several different stores, and online.  I purchased these palettes at two different stores, at a very reasonable price.  Both of the palettes have 10 eye shadow colors, a sponge applicator (yuck!), and a black eyeliner pencil.  

The top swatch is a clean line made with the pencil.  The bottom one I smudged out with my finger.


I will start with the eyeliner, as it is exactly the same in both palettes.  The eyeliners glide on smoothly, and smudge really well.  I have been spoiled by Urban Decay's 24/7 eyeliners, so I am used to insane staying power.  These pencils have an average wear, I suppose, but are not my favorite.  I will pass them on to a friend, I think, or keep them here for a friend, for when they want to touch up their makeup before we go out!  Grade: 3/5



I love how these have a mirror.  Handy!
The first palette I picked up was at the discount store, Five Below, for $5.  Five Below is one of my favorite stores to frequent, especially if my kids need a gift to take to a birthday party.  The best thing about Five Below is that every item in the store is $5 or less, and they have a fairly large assortment of things, that change all the time.  While I was there doing my Christmas shopping, I noticed a palette that was strikingly similar to Urban Decay's NAKED palette.  I don't have the naked palette, and I want one ($50 is a lot, that I would have to explain to my husband!), so I picked up the BARE palette for $5.
A closer view of the shadows in this palette.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to have names.



First impression was that there were some great neutrals in the palette! I liked using these colors and adding a colored shadow for "pop", and creating a very pretty neutral eye.  After using the shadows for about a week, however, I noticed that the consistency of some of them wasn't all that great.  Some of the shadow pans in the palette had lumps of powder in it, like the factory hadn't mixed everything up properly.  The shadows still work, but I didn't like the fact that the pans weren't a smooth, silky consistency.  

I swear, there really ARE 10 swatches here.  You just can't see them all very well.  See what I mean about the pigmentation?

One thing that I DO like is that the palette is a mixture of shimmer and matte shades.  I like that I can do a neutral eye, including highlight, with this one palette.  The other thing I noticed is that the shadows are not super pigmented in this palette.  You have to use a lot to get the color effect.  I would also recommend wearing a primer with this shadow, as I had crease problems without primer.  This is still my go-to box for a neutral selection, but I wish it were of a bit of a higher quality.  Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.  Grade: 2.5/5

Love the leopard print on these also!


I was at my local Walgreens last week, and saw that they had the same BARE palette that I had picked up at Five Below.  They also had another palette that I DIDN'T get at FB, that I was sorry later that I hadn't gotten.  Both palettes were originally $4.99, and on CLEARANCE now (after Christmas sale) for $3.74 (?).  I quickly picked up this dark beauty, the MIDNIGHT FEVER palette and I haven't been sorry.  This seems to be an attempt to dupe the SMOKED palette from Urban Decay.  As I don't have this palette either, I can't speak for dupes, but this palette is perfect for a nice smoky eye.

A closer look at the 10 shades.  This palette also did not give the colors names.


I should have picked this one up in the first place!  The quality is a bit nicer, although I still have crease problems if I forget my primer.  The pans seem to not have the chalky bits in it, like the BARE palette, but they are not as silky smooth as high end shadows.  They are still absolutely useable, and wearable, and it would be easy to use this palette to go from a day look, to a dark, sexy, smoky eye look at night.  I expected the shadows to all be dark, with a name like MIDNIGHT FEVER, but I was happily surprised to see a highlight shade and some pretty browns in here also.  

With the exception of the highlight color all the way on the left, these are much easier to see than the BARE ones.
This palette also has both shimmer and semi-matte shades, plus a matte black, which is a plus.  Some of these shadows are really nicely pigmented, but others, not so much.  This palette is absolutely worth the $5, much less the clearance price I paid! This is definitely a deal worthy of an Only Average Mom! GRADE: 3.5/5

Do you have any Profusion products, or these palettes?  If so, do you love them or hate them? Is there another product you think I would prefer to these?  Leave a comment and let me know!

Is there another product you would like to see my Only Average thoughts on? Let me know, because I always love to try new things!


Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion, on a product I paid for out of my own pockets.  I have not been compensated for this opinion in any way, and it is my honest thoughts on the products listed above. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the colors in the palettes. They are gorgeous. The eye-liner pencil looks amazing the way it goes on and smears. Do you do your top lids with eye-liner, or have you ever tried it? My only suggestion is that you include more pics as you have done with your last post. The colors would look as if they would really stick out with your skin color. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do line both my upper and lower lids (although not always with the same color!). I will think about putting pics in, but I have something called "hooded eyes". Basically, you don't see any of my eyelid when my eye is open, so you can't really see the shadow colors, unless my eye is closed!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and visit! I read all the comments and try to reply to everyone. It's the least I could do- it's very...Average.